A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dream Big!








I use the word "Dream" in a lot of my work - I encourage friends and family to follow their dreams and their passions and to take time for themselves. I believe this. I really do. Especially because, as a woman and mother- we are not much good to those we care for if our reserves are always depleted. I just don't always follow my own advice.

Several years ago, I saw the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" . I immediately fell in love with it. The concept that a woman, when at the end of her rope, goes on a trip and never comes back hit a nerve deep inside me. I have watched the movie over and over and over. I imagine myself doing something similar. I wonder how I would adapt to a foreign country. Would I learn to communicate or would my "old lady" brain win out? Would I make friends and develop relationships? How would I earn a living? Am I brave enough?






Last night, my husband took me to see "Eat, Pray, Love", again a story of a woman reaching a roadblock in her life and taking off on her own. There is much that can be said about the movie - was it perfect? No. Was it a bit self-indulgent? Maybe. Did I love it? Yes. And what's more - it stirred those wanderlust feelings inside of me yet again. I found myself dwelling on it when I came home. I woke in the middle of the night to dreams of travel and soul-searching.






I have always found myself drawn to and fascinated by the idea of exploring other cultures - not as a tourist, but as a participant. I fantasize about spending months in one place. Enough time to really explore and observe.






Of course, life gets in the way sometimes. Family takes precendence - as it should. Afterall, family is the one constant I can always rely on. But sometimes I have to wonder . . .could I? Is is possible to make such a dream a reality? Then it goes back to my words of wisdom - "Keep your dreams big" and "have faith". I know that some day I will travel and see some of the remarkable places this world has to offer. I may not end up staying for a year or even months - but I believe that the desire is strong enough that someday, I will get a stamp in my passport. Maybe even several stamps.






So . . .what is your dream or fantasy that seems so big that you aren't sure how to make it come true? We need to share so that we can all support each other. So let's raise our hands high and make a promise to ourselves to go out and do everything we can to living our dreams.



1 comment:

  1. I want to spend a year going thru Europe; taste real chocolate from Spain, dance in Germany during Oktoberfest, see the fountains of Austria (a Sound of Music thing!) and walk the gardens in England. Will I ever do this? Only if I dream BIG!!

    ReplyDelete