A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Upcycled Trunk


 
After my last post, which was a bit of a rant -
I figured I would get back to "art". :)
 
This is a piece which I recently completed.
A wonderful commission piece for a co-worker.
It is a box - a mini foot locker.
It measures about 18" square on all sides.
 
This client called me one day and said she had this box...
"it's kind of ugly", she said.
"I really don't want it in my house...but my grandfather gave it to me and I can't bear to part with it."
 
I agreed to see what I could do with it.
When she brought it to me, I was a little doubtful.
It is made of chipboard.
The outside of it had been covered with a heavy paper that was decorated with really lovely blue geese.
Can you say "1980s?" LOL
Not pretty.
Once finished it would be residing in her library room.
 
A good priming coat of black, some bright colors and design and...
it has been given a new lease on life.
A sun and moon and the admonishment to enjoy all that a good book has to offer.
 
And some day - if those lovely geese come back in style -
she can remove the paint and let them come back out to play...
or not.
 


1 comment:

  1. Yeah she will NOT be going back to the geese this we can be assured!! Especially after seeing your transformation!! Beautiful job...that would be so fun to look at daily! She will get many compliments on it, plus it's a great conversation piece!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete