A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I Think I'll Fly



I have a confession to make.
I am a junkie.
I love live theatre.
More than that - I love, love, love live musical theatre.
My ultimate fantasy would be to live in a world where everyone breaks into song when they are happy or having an emotional moment.
But alas - I live in the real world.
So I have to be happy with the option of going to watch live musical theatre, listening to soundtracks and singing at the top of my lungs when I love the music.
In college - most of my music collection was made up of musical soundtracks.
That's not so much the case now.
I download favorite songs off iTunes and just have "selections".
That way - I don't seem like I am such a nerd :).
 
So the other morning, I was out walking my dog.
 It was a beautiful fall morning.
Crystal clear skies, the sun was coming up, no one was around (because they were all smart and still in bed, I'm sure), and I was enjoying the moment.
My headphones were in and my playlist was on shuffle.
I had been giving myself a bit of self-talk about taking chances, trusting the process of this new life, achieving new things, and finally giving myself permission to take flight.
The next song began to play and I stopped in my tracks - it was "Defying Gravity" from the musical soundtrack "Wicked".
I have seen this musical a few times. And I love this song. It occurs as the finale of the first act.
It is when the misunderstood "wicked witch" character takes off in flight for the first time.
And I have always associated this song with the scene in the musical.
 
But this time, standing in the park, contemplating my future - I stopped, stood still and listened to the words.
Really listened to the words.
WOW! Was this song written just for me?
 
DEFYING GRAVITY
Something has changed within me - Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules Of someone else's game.
Too late for second-guessing - Too late to go back to sleep;
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!
It's time to tryDefying gravity
I think I'll try Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits''cause someone says they're so;
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of losing love I guess I've lost;
Well, if that's love It comes at much too high a cost!
I'd sooner  try Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye I'm defying gravity
And you can't pull me down.

 So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo At least I'm flying free.
To those who'd ground me Take a message back from me -
Tell them how I'm Defying gravity
I'm flying high Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!
 
I mean - seriously?
Was hearing that song at that moment a coincindence?
I think not.
Now go and turn on your speakers and listen to the version at the link below.
And keep an eye out - because I think there will be an new art piece coming out of this sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment