A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Friday, March 1, 2013

Close Your Eyes and Make a Wish...




Wishes...
As a child I made wishes a lot.
I wished on stars.
I wished on the rainbow.
I wished when we drove through tunnels.
I wished when I blew out my birthday candles.
I wished when I threw a penny into a fountain.
But I would panic if I told someone -
because we were always told that if we shared our wish,
it wouldn't come true.
 
Wishes were important and I took them very seriously.
 
I still do -
I believe that in order to achieve anything -
you have to put it out there.
You have to think about it and visualize it and believe that it can happen.
 
As a grown up we call them goals.

I went to classes and heard lectures about goals and goal setting all through my growing up years.
I was instructed in the steps of goal setting.
Think about your goals.
Write them down.
Identify, develop and write down the steps required to achieve the goal.
Give each of the steps a deadline.
Review the list regularly.
Blah, blah, blah...yada, yada, yada.

As a teenager and even as an adult -
I didn't really buy this.
It just seemed like busy work to me.

And then several years ago, I wanted to open a business.
And I was asked for a business plan.
What the heck was that?
I took a class.
I researched.
And then I realized...a business plan was really a series of really big goals.
So I started writing things down.
And as I did it - I began to feel empowered.
Especially when I started to see the checkmarks that started accumulating as I accomplished individual tasks.

Goal setting...or wishes...are a big part of my life now.
There is a little girl inside me who still believes in wishes.
Who still likes to see the magic in things.
Who still believes in magic.
I make wishes for all sorts of things.
Things I want to accomplish, new adventures I want to try, places I want to visit...
I create "vision boards" - usually just a series of pictures and words that I put together on a blank piece of paper.
I tuck them into a sheet protector and tape them to my bathroom mirror and look at them everyday.
And it makes me feel excited and full of purpose.
But I also realize that a magical fairy is not going to come along and make the wish come true.
No genie is going to come out of a bottle.
I have to do the work myself.

And when I accomplish something...
it IS magical!
The big difference is this....
I believe in the magic of wishes - I just don't believe that they are free.
I believe that I have the power to make them come true.
And that...makes the whole process even more magical and special.
 
So embrace your inner child...
Look up at the night sky.
Close your eyes and make a wish.
Just don't forget - the magic is already right inside of you.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You believed it into being... how wonderful!! Thanks for sharing that sweet side of you!! Cute artwork too!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete