A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012


Show season is upon us.
We have our first official summer show this weekend.
I feel like I am living in an episode of "Groundhog Day".
Get up - go to the day job - come home - eat a little dinner - change into the paint clothes - paint until I can't concentrate anymore - walk the dog - go to bed - wake up - repeat.

Now I must add this disclaimer -
although this is a busy (and rather hard) schedule to keep up for any length of time,
I am NOT complaining.
On the contrary.
It is a joy and a blessing to be living out my passion on a daily basis.
In fact - even if I didn't have shows or orders, I would probably maintain the same schedule.

Many years ago, I changed my life and chose to stay home full time.
It was a great opportunity.
But it brought a long with a horrible depression.
One like I had never experienced before.
I wanted to be anywhere doing anything other than what I was doing.
I found no joy.
I didn't laugh.
I only felt overwhelmed.

Until I started creating art.
My art at first was pretty bad.
But it gave me a purpose.
I've told this story before - and I am not going to belabor it here and now -
but with the major life changes I am going through right,
it would be very easy to slip back into the place of depression.
Instead I find myself up to my elbows in color.
And thank goodness for the color. And the mess. And the busy-ness.

So for the next week or so -
I will keep living in my own "Groundhog Day" movie.
But come this weekend - I will feel some of the reward as I get to meet and talk to people at our art festivals.

And don't forget - if you are in the area -
stop by and say HI!


2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous piece!! It speaks to me since I am probably more grateful for a google search and curiosity than anyone I know!!

    There is something to be said for suppressing an artful soul!! Very unhealthy business! That's why I am kind of a nag to my very creative friends who keep sabotaging their time with everything but that which would truly fulfill them!!

    Glad you are finding peace in those creative moments, and your crazy busy days!! Enjoy the festival moments, you've earned them!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up my full-time job, too. I have never looked back. The color.....the mess...the busyness ....our salvation! xoxox

    ReplyDelete