A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My hand won't stop drawing!!

A new piece - actually a special request from a friend. And it shows some of the influence from my online class with JoAnn Sharp!


You saw this one a few weeks ago - but it is finished now and not so blurry!


It's Wednesday.
That means American Idol.
I admit it . . .I am an American Idol junkie.
I love the show - I grew up singing and performing.
I don't do it often now - but I do love listening to the performers.
However, there is a problem.
I don't have a cable connection in my art studio. I don't want tv in my art studio.
I do watch movies in there - and I have been known to netflix entire series of tv shows in there.
(OK - confession, I watch alot of tv shows on netflix in there - but it doesn't count, because there are no commercials!)
But I don't want the commercials in my studio. My studio is my sacred space and I don't want that in there.
So when I choose to watch AI on Wednesday nights - I either have to move everything that I paint with into another room - or forgo painting all together.
So instead - I compromise and doodle and draw and experiment with my paper and pencils and new markers.
And I am having a great time -
And I am enjoying the fact that they are so portable!

And now another confession . . .
I did it.
I broke down and have started my collection of copic markers.
I do not; however, have them yet.
It was more affordable to buy them online.
And now I will be experiencing Christmas is May!
So I will have to wait . . .and wait . . .and wait.
In the meantime, I will keep playing with these tombow markers and I'll keep you posted on my experimentation with the new copics once they arrive.

So to say the least - if you wonder where I will be at about 8:00 tonight -
it's a pretty safe bet that I will be sitting on my bed,
the tv remote close at hand,
and my drawing supplies spread out it front of me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie!
    I'm watching Idol on the higher up cable channels, as I write this. Love love love your new piece. I'm going to have to take Joann Sharps course!! I've always loved your lettering...but this just takes it to a new dimension!!

    When I was young I too sang and was very involved in music. I just finished watching the voice last week and look forward to x factor too!! I like watching tv while I create, and have been looking at copics too lately. My birthday is at the end of the month so I may ask for them, I just did in fact!! lol thanks for reminding me...originally I asked for a foot stool..lol copics are way better!! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete