A woman who works with her hands is a laborer;

A woman who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson;

A woman who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an....

Artist.


Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Goodbye To A Friend . . .

Life is about change. I have heard this since I was very young. Change is supposed to be a good thing - a necessary thing. But sometimes, change is just hard. In addition to my art, I have a full time job. An 8-5 job at a local college. We've all heard about the economy and all the "fatalaties" associated with it. Today one of my work associates was a victim. A wonderful person - he is a husband, a father, a friend. He was a key factor in why I accepted this job when it was offered to me. I will miss him as I go to work each day. I will continue to do my job as I am asked, but in my heart, I am sad at the injustice of the situation. He will be missed. It was an honor to work with him. It is an honor to call him "friend".

Our family, too, has been the victim of the economy. My husband was laid off a few months back. It rocks your world. But change can be good - Sometimes out of change, especially change that is unexpected, you find yourself exploring options you never thought of before. It gives you the courage to move forward into unchartered directions. I have felt the joy of this kind of a blessing. I hope my friend finds the same type of joy as well. Bon Voyage, my friend . . .I look forward to our paths crossing again.

On a more positive note. Included here are pictures of some of my orders I am working on. These are for a client in Kalama. The orders are for a chair and large mirror with an Asian theme. Bright colors are a must.




Last post, I showed the beginnings of the chair . . .here is the seat, finished up. The colors are rich. The pictures are full of texture.












Here is the full view of the chair . . .every color, textures, beads, and mirrors.



















Here is the start of the mirror. A solid black surface to begin. . .then some blocks of background
colors.


A close up of the bamboo on the left side of the mirror. . .

















and a koi fish . . .alot of the defining details still waiting to emerge.
















This will be the top with the Asian symbols for "Thankfullness" . Of course - more color and more detailing to come. But the idea is there. Stay tuned for the final product.
So . . .here's to change.

1 comment:

  1. Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That is just awful! It makes the whole situation even more frustrating.

    I truly hope this will open doors for this individual in other career areas.

    By the way, I'm so eager to see the finished project. I love the Asian symbols!

    ReplyDelete